Title: Empress of a Thousand Skies
Author: Rhoda Belleza
Genre: Young Adult, Science-fiction
Format: Hardcover, 344 pages
Publishing Information: February 7th 2017 by Razorbill
Rhee, also known as Crown Princess Rhiannon Ta’an, is the sole surviving heir to a powerful dynasty. She’ll stop at nothing to avenge her family and claim her throne.Fugitive
Aly has risen above his war refugee origins to find fame as the dashing star of a DroneVision show. But when he’s falsely accused of killing Rhee, he’s forced to prove his innocence to save his reputation – and his life.Madman
With planets on the brink of war, Rhee and Aly are thrown together to confront a ruthless evil that threatens the fate of the entire galaxy.
A saga of vengeance, warfare, and the true meaning of legacy.
I am so excited to be on the blog tour for Empress of a Thousand Skies and to host such an awesome giveaway thanks to the lovely folks at Penguin (you can enter the giveaway at the end of this post). Empress of a Thousand Skies was one of my most anticipated of 2017 and I really enjoyed having the chance to create a character cast for this blog tour. I loved that this book has such a diverse cast — it was super fun to try to figure out which actors and actresses I would choose to play the main and side characters. Without further ado, here are my cast picks for the book:
Character Fan Casting
- Crown Princess Rhiannon Ta’an (aka Rhee) is one of the main characters in the book. Her family was murdered when she was only 6 years old and she is set on revenge. She develops a lot throughout the story as she learns the truth about what has happened to her family. Rhee is described as a character with mismatched eyes (one hazel and brown, black hair, tan skin, and broad cheekbones). I think Zendaya would be absolutely perfect for the role of Rhee — she looks exactly how I pictured Rhee minus the eyes which I’m sure contacts could fix if she were casted.
- Alyosha Myraz (Aly) is a military pilot and reality show star who is accused of murdering Rhee (Rhee narrowly escapes an assassination attempt and is presumed dead when she actually isn’t). Aly comes from a planet that is largely marginalized and its people (the Wreaetans) are discriminated against. He becomes a fugitive and spends a lot of time trying to figure out who framed him and why. John Boyega from Star Wars: The Force Awakens automatically came to mind as an actor to play Aly. John has already played the role of a fugitive in space so I think he would be a great fit.
- Dahlen is a side character who shows up early in the book. His and Rhee’s lives intersect when he saves Rhee. I liked that he’s not afraid to be forward with the princess and is incredibly honest with her. He comes from a religious group that believes in a God named Vodhan and dis beliefs really shape his actions; he can quickly shift from contemplative character to a warrior out for blood. I would cast Austin Butler from The Shannara Chronicles because I think he would be fantastic at playing the role of a someone who seems innocent but is capable of a lot of damage.
- Vincent is Aly’s co-star on the reality show, The Revolutionary Boys. At a glance, he is just a charmer and really knows how to work the camera. However, you learn that there is a lot more to his story. I think Liam Hemsworth would be a great actor to play him — he can play the role of the innocent and easy-going guy while also having a much more intricate/deeper agenda.
- Kara meets Aly after she robs his supplies and they have such great banter with each other. Kara is super quick on her feet and really brilliant at surviving in tough environments. She’s described as looking mixed, and when Aly meets her, he says she looks kind of like a “mess” but the way “the pretty girls looked messy.” When thinking of an actress to play her, of course, Mila Kunis came to mind and particularly her role in Book of Eli. Mila does a wonderful job of playing the badass smart and scrappy pretty girl and she would be perfect as Kara.
- Veyron is Rhee’s trainer who helped Rhee become a stronger person. He is forced into a tough situation and his actions really put the plot into motion. He doesn’t play a large role throughout the book but he is incredibly influential in Rhee’s life. He’s part Wraetan so he has darker skin but also blue eyes due to his Kalusian ancestry. I could definitely see an older/graying Jesse Williams being casted for his part.
I thought about casting the villain in the story but doing so would be a spoiler so I’ll just leave it to you guys to cast him. He’s definitely super cunning and manipulative though — gave me major Frank Underwood (House of Cards main character) vibes.
Have you read Empress of a Thousand Skies yet? If yes, who would you cast for the characters?
Rhoda Belleza was raised in Los Angeles, where she grew up writing X-Filesfanfiction and stuffing her face with avocados. She’s a children’s editor at a publishing house and writes from a sunny Brooklyn apartment stuffed with far too many bikes and far too many shoes. When she’s not writing, Rhoda obsesses over nail art tutorials, watches kung fu movies, and sews together crooked things that pass for clothes. Empress of a Thousand Skies is her debut novel. Follow her on Twitter @rhodabee.
Enter for a chance to win one (1) of three (3) signed copies of Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza (ARV: $17.99 each). NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
Enter between 12:00 AM Eastern Time on February 6, 2017 and 12:00 AM on February 20, 2017. Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who are 13 and older. Winners will be selected at random on or about February 22, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Make sure to follow the rest of the tour: